Thursday, February 12, 2009

Happy Birthday Doug E Fresh

Today is my husband's birthday. I don't know if this holds true for everyone with respect to their spouses, but being married to this guy has made me want to do everything in my power to make this day extra special for him. He's had a birthday bonanza. This morning he got a special birthday breakfast - blueberry pancakes. Today at work, he received a special delivery - balloons, a stuffed animal and a card.

Let me pause right here for a moment. Lest anyone be confused, this man is turning 29, though this post thus far makes him sound like he's turning 10.

Okay, how about this - tonight we're meeting up with a critical mass of Doug's friends at bar called Elsa in the East Village for drinks (alchoholic drinks, at that) and perhaps even some birthday shots.

A few words about the bar. Elsa was originally an East Village dive bar (formerly named the Hanger) that recently underwent a facelift to become a chic, shopisticated cocktail lounge named after fashion world figure Elsa Schiaperalli. The entrance to the bar looks more like a storefront, with men's suits displayed in the windows, and the bar boasts an antique sewing machine tap which pours draught beers. The tailor shop/ bar combo sounded incongruous and odd to me at first. But last week, I popped in to check it out and I couldn't help but be won over by the minimalist decor, the charm of the open and clean, yet small and candle-lit space and the almost anitiquey feel of the place. My only concern was that it was practically empty at the time. I guess we'll just have to bring the party tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

Happy Birthday Dougie Fresh!!!

0 comments: